About Me

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Two Day Rye Buttermilk Bread

Continuing the trend of two day or delayed fermentation breads, it was time to try a rye-buttermilk bread. Rye, buttermilk and molasses are a made-for-each-other combination and rosemary plays well with the trio. This was the May bread for my father-in-law.

Ingredients: 
For two loaves
600 g whole wheat
100 bread flour
150 g rye (that is all I had. I would have probably used about 200-250 g if I had more, and skipped the buckwheat flour and reduced the whole wheat flour accordingly)
40 g buckwheat flour (¼ cup)

1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast

2 cups buttermilk
1¼ cups water
2 Tbsp molasses

Day 1:
Ingredients

8:37 pm: Ingredients just mixed in

8:53 pm: After resting and then kneading well.

8:54 pm: Ready for first rise

11:08 pm: First rise is complete.

I used a spatula to deflate the dough because it was fairly sticky. That would explain the marks on the dough.
11:11 pm: Deflated and ready for overnight second rise in the refrigerator
 Day 2:

12:52 pm: Out of the refrigerator on day 2
Because the dough was sticky, I decided to split it while it was still cold and then allow it to 'warm' to room temperature.

12:58 pm: Split while still cold

3:03 pm: 'Warmed' a little and risen too

3:07 pm: I swapped the loaf and boule because I wanted the larger piece to be the boule

3:54 pm: Proofed, slashed and ready for the oven

4:52 pm: Out of the oven. Decent oven spring

Glazed with some butter

Crumbly crumb

Date: April 26-27, 2012
Recipe: My own recipe
Comments:
There was decent oven spring, more pronounced along the side of the loaf than on the top. Rosemary, only ½ tbsp per loaf, lends a distinct flavor to the bread. I thought it played well with rye. Even though the crumb looks like it will fall apart, it held well and the bread was easy to slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment