About Me

Monday, September 12, 2011

Walnut Oatmeal Bread

This bread was baked nearly three weeks ago, I have baked 3 other loaves since, but I have been lazy about updating the blog.

This bread is from Laurel Robertson's 'The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book'. The basic recipe (Oatmeal Bread) has instructions to use steel cut oats or rolled oats. I had made the steel-cut oats version in the past and liked it, so I tried the rolled oats version this time. There are two variations to the basic recipe: walnut-oatmeal and sunflower (seed)-oatmeal. I made the walnut-oatmeal version this time but I will definitely the sunflower seed version soon.

Preparation
The oatmeal is cooked well (with some salt) and set aside for several hours or overnight. Mixed into it is honey and oil. Yeast is mixed in warm water (in the measuring cup in the picture). The flour is all whole wheat flour.

Preparation

Stiff dough when ingredients are brought together

The recipe says: "Even if the dough seems very stiff, don't add more water just yet: the flour will absorb water from the oatmeal very slowly, so the dough softens as you work". I let it sit for 5 minutes before the 10 minutes of  kneading and sure enough, it came together very well.

2:35 pm: Ready for first rise

3:36 pm: First rise is done

3:39 pm: Ready for second rise

4:29 pm: Second rise is done

Proofing
The walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped fine, are added before shaping.

Walnuts spread onto the dough

Actually I am not sure how I got from the earlier picture to this stage.

4:50 pm: Ready for proofing

5:34 pm: Ready for the oven

A decent loaf

Decent crumb with a distinct ring of walnuts under the crust that would fall apart a bit.

The bread
I like oatmeal and I like walnuts, and this bread didn't disappoint. I had most of it with almond butter.

Notes
Date: Aug 21, 2011
Recipe: Walnut-Oatmeal Bread from Laurel Robertson's book, 'The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book'

Flours: Whole wheat, cooked rolled oats
Bread specific ingredients: Walnuts (toasted and chopped fine)
Sweetener used: Honey
Liquid: Water

Comments: It's been fairly long since this bread found it's way to our stomachs and I don't remember what I might have wanted to write here about the experience. I guess the lesson to learn is to post more promptly.

-RPH

No comments:

Post a Comment