About Me

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Flaxseed Loaves 02

I made this exact same bread a week ago. It turned out very well but I had not noted the quantities I used very well. This weekend we were going to visit some friends and I thought of baking some bread for them, it was a perfect chance to make the bread again and this time take good notes.

The notes
It turned out I had written down the correct quantities in my previous blog about this bread. This time I used 350 g of whole wheat flour and 100 g of all purpose flour (other ingredients being the same). However, in my focused state to write down the correct flour measurements, I forgot to add salt to the flours. I realized this when I had a ball of dough. So I dissolved the salt in 11 g of water, figuring that it would assimilate better in a dissolved state and kneaded it in as best as I could.  The previous attempt indicated that the dough was a little too much for my cast iron combo cooker, I made two loaves this time, one to gift and one for home.

The pictures

Mixed, but stickier than previous attempt

Well risen

Shaped into two batards, the larger one for the combo cooker

The smaller loaf proofed in a cast iron loaf pan

Proofed, slashed and glazed with sesame seeds

Proofed quite a bit...

...so I reshaped it

Ten minutes after reshaping, slashed and glazed with sesame seeds

In the pre-heated combo cooker, ready for the oven

Out of the oven and looking good

The bottom side

The loaves

The crumb

The bread
The small loaf sliced well but slices were small for sandwiches. We mostly had them with soups. When I first tasted the heel, it was salty, but RH said his slice was fine, the next slice over was fine too. It is highly likely the salt didn't mix very well.


Notes
Date: June 10, 2011
Recipe: Rose Levy Beranbaum's 'The Bread Bible'

Flours: Whole wheat, all purpose flour and a little rye flour
Bread specific ingredients: Flaxseeds (cracked)
Sweetener used: Honey
Liquid: Water

First rise time: 60 mins
Proofing time: 50 mins
Comments: Remember the salt at the right time. I think this recipe works better as two loaves. I baked for about the same time as the previous attempt, but because the dough was split, it cooked better. The pre-heated combo cooker seemed to give better results than the cold loaf pan, but placing dough in the hot pan, and then putting the very heavy, hot pan in the oven, and placing the hot lid on it without losing too much oven heat is still scary.

-RPH

1 comment:

  1. I've been having good results with the Tartine methods, for various bread recipes, and that book would have you add the salt after a short autolyse or resting period of about 25-40 minutes, along with about 50 ml of water. I'm always surprised that the extra water combines, even in a dough that is already highly hydrated, when you squoosh it all together with your fingers. But water follows salt, and it seems to hold together even better once the salt and water is added late like this. That method is more folding than kneading, and I've never noticed pockets of salt. Maybe you could have added a bit more water -- don't be afraid to add up to 50g, is my point -- and the salt would have distributed more evenly?

    I like the caramel-coloured crusts on your loaves, and hope I can get similar results when I get my combo cooker.

    ReplyDelete