About Me

Sunday, February 26, 2012

RPH Garbanzo Coconut Milk Bread

Sounds like a bad idea, doesn't it? Well, it almost was. It's breads like this that make one believe that the bread baking process can be forgiving.
This bread came about because I had lite coconut milk I didn't know what to do with. I looked around a bit but didn't find any yeast bread recipes that used it. Some baking information suggested that it could be used as a milk substitute. I thought I would experiment with bread. I also happened to have some cooked garbanzo beans and they have worked successfully in breads I've baked previously.

Here is how this bread came together:
For one loaf
200g cooked garbanzo beans
113 g of lite coconut milk (I had the Thai Kitchen brand) (½ cup)
Blend the two ingredients well.

300g whole wheat flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp agave nectar
65 g water

Mix the ingredients well, let rest for 5 minutes and then knead well for 8 - 10 minutes.

Ingredients

1:33 pm: Ready to rise

4:59 pm: Longest first rise ever?

5:01 pm: Ready for second rise

7:28 pm: Not a significant second rise even after 2.5 hours

7:30 pm: Shaped for the cast iron pan

8:13 pm: I lost patience here

Got some oven spring

Dense crumb

Notes
Date: February 5, 2012
Recipe: My own recipe
Flours: Whole wheat flour
Bread specific ingredients: Garbanzo beans
Sweetener used: Agave nectar
Liquid: Water, Coconut milk

Comments: It would be interesting to know if there is a scientific/chemical reason coconut milk is not a good liquid for yeast breads. Because the dough didn't rise very much the crumb was fairly dense. It tasted okay, with no particular garbanzo bean or coconut milk flavor. Nothing to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment