About Me

Monday, May 9, 2011

No-knead Ciabatta 02

In response to my first attempt of the No-knead Ciabatta bread, some blog readers mentioned Jim Lahey's method. I didn't have a dutch oven then, but I do now, so I was excited to try the recipe again, this time with some more whole grains. I used the recipe as given here but changed the flours a bit.

210 g: Whole wheat flour
206 g: All purpose flour
0.25 tsp instant yeast 
And then I made a possibly wrong move. I added 4g of vital wheat gluten to help with the rise. Also, I started adding water (by weight) and then noticed that my digital scale was showing Err (for error), so I did some guessing to make about 369 grams of water

Since the link gives the directions, here's my version in pictures:

Mixed at 9:30 pm

At 8:30 am after sitting overnight on the counter

At 2:30 pm ready to move on

Turned out on plastic wrap and sprinkled with some flour

After 4 folds, covered in plastic wrap to rest for 15 mins

Based on information I read on thefreshloaf, I decided to proof the dough on parchment paper in a bowl the same size as my cast iron pan

Before proofing

Proofed dough placed in a preheated cast iron pan and dusted with oat bran

The dough was baked in an oven pre-heated to 450 F and then lowered to 425 F. The pan was covered with the cast iron skillet for the first 15 minutes and the lid was taken off for the last 25 minutes.

Out of the oven

Out of the pan, the shape of the parchment paper folds clearly seen.

Irregularly shaped bottom

Sliced.

Irregular holes

This was the May bread for my father-in-law.


Notes
Date: April 30, 2011
Recipe: No-knead Ciabatta from this website

Flours: All purpose flour, whole wheat flour
Bread specific ingredients: None
Sweetener used: None
Liquid: Water

Long ferment: 17 hours at room temperature
Proofing time: 15 minutes of rest followed by two hours of proofing.
Comments: I only tasted one slice of the bread about 2 hours after it was out of the oven and I thought it was a tad gummy. I think it was the vital wheat gluten. I will have to try the bread again with either the same quantities of flours or maybe more whole grains. The crust was crackly crisp which I believe is because of the cast iron pan. Too many variables to know for sure. It is truly easy to put together, so if the 100% whole grain version turns out acceptable, it could become a regular.

-RPH

2 comments:

  1. Looks very nice! I too am curious to see if that method alone will get a similar nice rise/holey crumb without the vital wheat gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cellarguy: Yes, that test will have to happen sooner rather than later, before I try the 100% whole grain test. I wasn't wild about the shape resulting from the parchment paper folds. Also pre-heated vs non pre-heated cast iron would be an interesting test.

    ReplyDelete